Sunday, May 17, 2009

Chump Change

As you can tell I keep up with most of what our government is up to. I think it comes from living just outside Washington for 9 years. I took both papers Washington Post and Washington Times. One is very liberal and one is very conservative.

The President proposed $17 Billion in Budget Cuts after approving a budget of $3500 BILLION. The cuts amount to less than 0.5 %. The Budget Director says, “$17 billion is not chump change by any measure.” Personally I am always looking for money and find it laying on the ground, in parking lots, etc. I pick it up and put it in my pocket.

However, this started me thinking. How much do you budget for self improvement. You Know, education, personal change, updating your knowledge, moving past limiting beliefs and moving ahead. Is 0.5 % of your annual income Chump Change to you. There was one year back there where my wife and I invested $30k yes, $30,000 in one year to do self improvement workshops. They worked and were a great investment. The IRS did not think so and would not let us deduct the expense, even though our incomes doubled over the next five years.

Now if you make $30,000 a year and invest $150.00 a year in yourself then you are spending your chump change wisely. That is an average of about 41 cents per day. Feel better now. I think I am worth more and I continue to attend and buy courses. I mean, how else am I supposed to keep up with you?

One comment I read agreed that the $17 Billion was chump change and the average taxpayer is the chump. Another made some comment about the chump change we can believe in. Well when I spend it on me, I can believe in it. What are you going to do with your chump change.

Dr YJC